By becoming a VFW Life Member, you make a lifetime commitment to serving your fellow service members and veterans. That’s something to take great pride in.
You can also enjoy many great benefits of being a life member! You will:
- Avoid annual dues and renewals.
- Maintain your membership in any Post you choose, worldwide!
- Never pay an increase in dues–Guaranteed!
- Receive a 10% discount on exclusive VFW Store merchandise for the first year.
There are three qualifiers for membership in the VFW, as set out in our National Bylaws. An individual must meet all three in order to become a member. They are as follows:
1: Citizenship – must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. National.
2: Honorable Service – must have served in the Armed Forces of the United States and either received a discharge of Honorable or General (Under Honorable Conditions) or be currently
3: Service in a war, campaign, or expedition on foreign soil or in hostile waters*. This can be proven by any of the following:
– An authorized campaign medal (see a full list of qualifying medals and badges)
– Receipt of Hostile Fire Pay or Imminent Danger Pay (verified by a military pay statement)
– Service in Korea for 30 consecutive or 60 non-consecutive days
*This information is usually available through a veteran’s DD-214. If other information is needed or if a veteran’s DD-214 is not complete, they can contact the National Personnel Records Center online or at 314.801.0800 to request more information.
More detailed information on VFW eligibility can be accessed here.
If you are not eligible for membership in the Veterans of Foreign Wars but you have a parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, sibling, or spouse who would be eligible then you may apply for membership in the VFW Auxiliary. You can learn more at vfwauxiliary.org.